Skip to main content

Blog Journal 9

 


        Starting college as a distance learner was different than in-person classes and it presented various obstacles but many advantages as well. One thing that I enjoy about distance learning is the ability to create my schedule. Many of my courses post weekly assignments and projects but I can choose the time to complete it which makes distance learning more flexible. The one thing that I do dislike about distance-learning is its inability to communicate as effectively with professors as I would be able to in person. Through emails and zoom office hours I do not feel like it is the same level of support that I would be getting if I was in person. Based on my experience as a student in distance-learning as an educator I will implement various protocols and provide resources to help my students thrive by completing distance learning classes. For example, I established group chats or use academic apps such as Class Dojo to connect with students and parents to establish constant communication. Additionally, as an educator to provide a good experience for my students through distance-learning I believe the live zoom sessions in class buildings are very helpful. This enables students to create relationships with their teachers and allow them to ask questions in real-time.


Open educational resources explain educational materials and resources that are open and available to the public. Open educational resources are usually distributed online and allow individuals to use them free of charge. An example of an open educational resource would be resources such as Lumen Leaning or Khan Academy. For example, Khan Academy posts free public resources that explain learning concepts covering a wide range of topics. The organization also creates practice and learning materials that are open and easily accessible to use for learning and teaching purposes. When you search up Khan Academy just like many OER’s educators will have access to many resources and can even track student progress. 


https://www.khanacademy.org/math/cc-fifth-grade-math 


        Working on the two PowerPoint assignments I was able to acquire various skills. The one thing that I did not enjoy about these assignments was the difficulty of adding my audio to the PowerPoint. It was complex at first as my PC was not functioning with the PowerPoint app. In the interactive game, I struggled with adding action buttons that correlated with the correct slide. Although I did not like these components of the assignments they help me understand how to function PowerPoint effectively in a new way. These assignments allowed me to gain skills such as hyperlinking slides to action buttons and understanding how to edit images on PowerPoint. The skills will be very beneficial as a future educator as I will be able to create interactive content for my students that will not only allow them to learn to stay engaged. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal #8

           While working on the web design assignment I was able to acquire many skills that will be beneficial to me as a future educator. Before beginning to create my web design I decided to look for a platform that would be efficient I'm both computer and mobile devices so having the skills to know what Resources work best for the communities that I'm serving as a skill that I was able to utilize when working on this assignment. For my web design, I utilized Google sites through Google sites, I enjoyed how I could easily create tabs and sections within my website and embed information and resources for parents and students to utilize. What I liked most about this assignment was being able to integrate the skills that I've learned in the course so far and apply it to something that I know I'll be using as a teacher. By knowing how to create content such as and research resources allowed me to understand the work that educators do to connect parents with contact mater