Skip to main content

Blog One Personal Learning Network

 


Hello everyone, 

Welcome to blog #1 where I will be introducing myself and talking about my experience with technology in an educational setting as well as personal learning networks that aid me in my learning needs and goals. 

My name is Tamara Sonera I am currently a first-year student at Florida State University majoring in Elementary Education. Before coming to Florida State I attended a vocational high school in which I had the opportunity to work with preschool students in a preschool lab. Working with young children throughout high school exposed me to my love for education, children, and working with my community. Throughout the years I focused on teaching reading and math to 3 to 5-year-old students. In March 2019, I earned my Child Development Associate Credential (CDA.) Earning my certification opened the doors for various job opportunities during my senior year of high school. From August 2019 through May 2020 I worked as a Foreign Language Preschool teacher specializing in Spanish and American Sign Language. As a current college student, I am interested in learning about educational policy and how these policies can affect vulnerable school districts. With our current situation surrounding COVID-19, I have seen first hand the number of children who have been impacted by the lack of technology in their homes. I hope to be able to learn about effective strategies and resources that I could one day implement in my classroom to help students and families. 

In an educational setting, I have had some experience using technology in the classroom. As a student, I have used various resources to communicate with other students and organizations such as Groupme and Remind. These apps are effective in allowing students and teachers to communicate. In addition, I have used other resources to help me study for tests such as Quizlet and Kahoot. From a teacher's perspective working with young students, I have used resources and websites to allow students to practice basic computer skills such as logging in. For example, websites such as ABC Mouse, gizmos for online science labs, or buzzers where students can choose answers to questions. These tools help students not only learn how to use technology in the classroom but expose them to resources on websites that might not be tangibly available in the classroom. 

In the current times that we live in technology has become a daily part of our lives. Most of us wake up and the first thing we may do is log in to a social media platform to catch up with the latest news or just to feel connected to the people in our lives. I utilize personal learning networks that range from social media, educational apps, and professional networks. For example, I utilize Instagram and Facebook to connect with family and friends (personal.) For learning networks, I use apps such as youtube and Duolingo to learn new languages. Lastly, for sites that connect me with individuals and institutions ranging from Groupme, LinkedIn, and discord. 

Comments

  1. I think it's wonderful that you are interested in educational policy, particularly those that can support vulnerable populations. So many kids are struggling because they lack access to the Internet, hardware, or software (or all three!). What inspired your passion for supporting these students?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal #8

           While working on the web design assignment I was able to acquire many skills that will be beneficial to me as a future educator. Before beginning to create my web design I decided to look for a platform that would be efficient I'm both computer and mobile devices so having the skills to know what Resources work best for the communities that I'm serving as a skill that I was able to utilize when working on this assignment. For my web design, I utilized Google sites through Google sites, I enjoyed how I could easily create tabs and sections within my website and embed information and resources for parents and students to utilize. What I liked most about this assignment was being able to integrate the skills that I've learned in the course so far and apply it to something that I know I'll be using as a teacher. By knowing how to create content such as and research resources allowed me to understand the work that educators do to connect parents with contact mater